Thursday, November 10, 2011

Our health & wellness and where we go

It ain't easy feeling green.....
Well, my fear of getting sick or the kids getting sick and me feeling helpless has arrived.  I've gotten sick, I've had allergies, the kids have had a fever, a cold and currently fighting a bad cough and bronchitis.

There has been a couple of good choices for us to go to here for medicines.  We have "Farmacias" (pharmacies) practically on every corner, across the street from  each or inside the grocery stores.  Sounds like Starbucks, ey?

The pharmacy of my choice has been the MetroRx. The people behind the counter have been great.  I tell them what I have allergies (watery eyes and runny nose) nd voila! I have allergy medicine. "How many would I like?" um...I say 3 pills. Total: $.075. (.25 a pill).  I've bought advil for less than a dollar.  Just buy what you will use - nice concept, right?

For the big ones, like when Lincoln had a cough and skin was blotchy I took him to the San Fernando Clinic in Coronado.  No appointment is necessary. There is always a doctor on staff between the normal business hours during the week and 24hrs on the weekend. NICE!!

The doctor visit was $60 which included xrays, blood test, and an anti-allergy shot. The medicines included a cough syrup, antibiotics and allergy med. $60. Total for everything was $120.  I dare not calculate the US version of all this but lets say its way more than what I paid.

Chris went as well for a foot issue.  He had an infected blister from his running shoes.  We went, saw the doctor who was waiting for us. Which is funny because usually WE wait for the doctor!  After 5 minutes, Chris has a prescription and the visit total was $15 and the prescription was $10.  Very, very reasonable and his foot is healed.

I've gone with the kids as well to the dentist and have our teeth cleaned.  San Fernando Clinic is a one stop shop.  The dentist we do have to make an appointment. The cleaning takes about 20 minutes and includes flouride. Kids cost was $30 and mine was $45.

The hospital does have state of the art machines.  CT scans, Xrays, and blood test results all done there and within the hour.  Pretty awesome little place and for the price, we love it.  The hospital also had 3 beds and can handle small emergencies.  I think if my arm was about to fall off I would be taken to the city. But let's just hope that the little things - flus, colds, allergies, skin rashes, etc can be handled a short distance away.

No comments:

Post a Comment